Friday, January 04, 2013

I Did Something...

I realize I have not been writing much for awhile - even on my blogs. Some of it is laziness, I'm sure, but most of it is because when I get home at the end of the day, I'm tired.  I teach grade three, and I am in my second year of teaching. I'm lucky to be working at a Christian school.

This sounds like an excuse, and it just might be. But it's also valid.

And then I think to all the writing blogs I have visited, words by published and want-to-be-published authors, and they all say the same thing. Write. Even if you only have five minutes, even if you are dog tired, even if you are busier than the busiest person in the world...you need to write.

That's what writers do. They write.

So, the other day, I did something that I hope will help in my writing. I signed up for an online course through a local university. It's a six week course, and I hope it will help me with my writing, because, let's face it. I don't have any background in writing - other than just sitting down and writing.

I want to have more direction, a clearer understanding and idea of how to write, how to create characters, settings, and plots that will make others want to read my work.

The university also offered other writing courses as well, and when this one is finished I might look into signing up for another one (or two, or more). As I said, it's a six week course. I will get a couple of assignments each week, and will have a couple of weeks to work on them and hand them in. There are also little quizzes along the way but it sounds like they don't count toward the grade. Those sound as though they are there to help you and make sure you understand the material being learned. At the end of the course there is an exam - just not sure what that will be like.

Along the way, I hope to update my progress here, talk about what I'm learning, and how it's going. And, I'm also hoping and praying this course is what I will need to give me that extra motivation I seem to need lately (and not just in my writing).

Until then, and while there are still a couple of days left of Christmas vacation before going back to work, I hope to do a little writing so I'll have something to work with during the course (no that I need to have it, but it might help).

No comments: