Saturday, January 26, 2013

Writing Course - Update

The advanced fiction writing course I signed up for in early January has now begun. Since it's online, I don't have to worry about attending actual classes (which at this point in my life is difficult because I don't have a vehicle to get to the college). Two lessons are released each week, one on Wednesday and the other on Friday.  So far, I am on lesson three.

The first lesson was pretty much just an intro to the course, and the assignment was to introduce ourselves and discuss what types of books we like to read (and write), etc.  The second lesson was on story and plot. This lesson is on characters.

While we don't have to do the actual assignments with each lesson, it is highly encouraged because those will help with our writing. Because I've been busy (and quite tired) with school starting up after Christmas holidays, I have not completed the second assignment. It is to identify a favourite book or movie and tell what kind of story it is (i.e. the genre), if it fits into the templates we learned about, what the protagonist's flaw is and how it shapes the crisis and epiphany. I have part of the assignment done, but need to finish it and post my response by the 31st.

I believe the assignment for the lesson on characters is to create a character sketch, but I haven't finished reading over the lesson yet so I can't do that. I have one other lesson to catch up on after this one. Hopefully, it doesn't take too long (I don't want to get too far behind).

I think my struggle with this course is going to be in finding the time to do the readings and assignments. After school I am generally tired or busy, so that leaves the weekends - but I don't want to leave two assignments to have to do on the weekends. I'm going to have to make this a priority over "playing" on the computer and/or watching TV. I need to discipline myself to do the course work before I have "down time," otherwise I will end up not completing the course and wasting my money - which I don't want to do.  I'd also like to take other writing courses they are offering as well, so I need to do what it takes in order to be successful at this.

So, that being said, I must get back to my lesson on characters!

No comments: